If you live with a cat you must know all those foods that are good for its body and avoid giving it products that it cannot digest properly. When a cat eats some food that is not suitable for him, he can feel indigestion, have vomiting, diarrhea, or even develop a disease.
For this reason, it is essential that you know if pistachio is among the prohibited foods for cats, take note!
Fruit in The Cat’s Diet
Scientifically, cats are considered a strict carnivore. The term strict carnivore refers to those animals that only eat meat. They can consume foods of plant origin or derived from other animals, however, these foods are not essential for their diet.
The domestic cat has inherited the nutritional requirements of ancestral wild cats and needs its diet to contain animal protein. In this way, the carnivorous inheritance of the wild cat has made domestic cats have a metabolism that effectively processes high levels of protein and that they require these proteins in their diet to stay strong and healthy and allow their body to function metabolically.
And what happens with fruits, can the cat consume them? Cats, although they are carnivores, can also eat fruits in small amounts, which can be a delicious treat. However, they should not consume citrus (orange, lemon, tangerine) because they are toxic. And what about the pistachio? We will see that next.
Can Cats Eat Pistachios?
Pistachio is a dried fruit and is highly valued not only for its particular flavor but also has numerous health benefits thanks to its high content of nutrients such as calcium, protein, fiber, or vitamins. However, the cat’s digestive system is different, and consuming pistachios can cause an upset stomach. This particular fruit is not exactly toxic to the cat but that does not mean that they can consume it.
Your feline pet shouldn’t eat pistachios because it will cause gastrointestinal pain and vomiting. Also, it should be noted that dried fruits can cause intestinal bloating, and even obstruction within the intestine, a very dangerous condition that could even have fatal consequences.
- Prevention is very important: therefore, if you are fond of pistachios, it is better to hide them in an inaccessible place for our curious cats.
- If the cat ate pistachios, do not panic: as mentioned, it is a type of nut that is not poisonous to the cat. The real risk is that they have eaten an excessive amount of pistachios or have ingested the shells. In this case, take him to the vet.
- If the cat shows signs of discomfort from ingesting pistachios, take it immediately to your trusted vet.
- The cat can eat the following vegetables (in low quantities): boiled carrot, boiled peas, boiled pumpkin, raw or boiled cucumber, raw or boiled lettuce.
- The cat can eat the following fruits (in small quantities): strawberry, melon, watermelon, apple, peach, and pear.
- You should never substitute the fruits/vegetables mentioned as the basis of the cat’s daily diet.
Cats are carnivores, are not omnivores, that is why, its digestive system is not ready to digest fibers from some fruits and vegetables, it is ready to process animal proteins, like meat and fish. As for the pistachio, in particular, prevent the cat from eating it.